a year in review

2017 felt as though it flew by. This year has treated me so well and has given me memories I will cherish forever. I thought I’d reflect on some of my person highlights of 2017.

January
2017 started well as this was the month me and my boyfriend made it official. We’d been speaking for a few months and after a cinema date watching Fantastic Beasts, we decided to make it official.

Me and Joe
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
January was also the month that me and my uni friends signed for our perfect house. After running around Leeds trying to get the papers signed by the agency, we got it and our landlord took bought us a drink to celebrate. (I forgot my ID so I drank water but it’s the thought that counted)


Lily, Seila, Me, Jem and Alex
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
February
In February, my bestest friend came up to Leeds for the night, after not seeing her for over a month. This was her first night out in Leeds and me and my other friend took her to a wagamamas and a night out after.


Me and Liv
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff

As Joe lives in Manchester and I live in Leeds, we missed Valentine’s day that month. We decided to celebrate a week later when we were both free. We went for a Zizzi’s and exchanged gifts after.


Joe
Joe (he hates when I do this)
February was a milestone month for me, as I finally discovered vegan pancakes. After stumbling across a recipe online I gave it a go and now me and Joe make them for breakfast every time we see each other. Thank you cannyfood for posting that recipe; it saved my life.

Finally mastered vegan pancakes
Instagram: emeatsvegan

March
March was the month that I left Leeds to go home for Easter. Me and my future housemates went for an emotional last night in Bierkeller and parted our ways.


Sav, Jem, Me, Seila and Alex
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
Before going back to my home town, I decided to visit my friends. My first stop was Manchester to visit Joe, as he had recently moved in to his new flat. We had a really chilled couple of nights, which is exactly what I needed after a term at university.

Lazy Saturdays
My next stop was to visit Liverpool with my three closet friends. It is so rare to get us all in the same room nowadays, as we are all so busy. It was really nice to catch up and finally be reunited. Long distance really does suck.


Marth, Liv, Katie, Me

April
In April, I managed to find my dream hairdresser. Being a natural ginger who has always box dyed their hair blonde, I finally managed to find someone who made my hair colouring dreams come true. She took me to a true blonde, which is something I never thought I could do as I had such warm brassy hair. I loved it so much and I don’t think I will ever change hairdressers again.  

(instagram: seanyteague.stylist) 


Finally blonde!!
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
April was actually a rather boring month for me, as I was at home revising for my exams so not a lot went on in this month.

A day I do remember however, is when Joe came to visit me in Leeds at the end of the month. We went to a kilo sale and then I took him for his first wagamamas, (as you can tell this is my favourite restaurant).


Joe's first time at Wagamamas 
May
This was my last month in Leeds before I went home for summer. Upon returning to Leeds after going home for the weekend, me and my friend Katie managed to get on the wrong train and ended up stranded in Manchester. We called an Uber to take us back to Piccadilly and we managed to get back to Leeds a couple of hours later.

Katie stranded in Manchester
May was the month I finished exams and began my summer. I stayed in Leeds for a couple of weeks and on the hottest day of the year we went to Katie’s flat and drank wine and stripped cos we were boiling. It was such a fun night.


Fun in the sun
Instagram: joedolmann

I had my final night out in Leeds before I was ready to go home for summer.

Alex, Seila, Me and Sav

June
I started my summer by visiting a Jeremy Corbyn rally in Telford. As a massive Labour supporter, I dragged my mum along and managed to get her on my side.

My man

I also dyed my hair again in June. This time we went for purple roots.


The matching eyeshadow is definitely intentional
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
July
On 2nd July, I moved in to my new house in Leeds. We all stayed there for a few days to settle in and it felt so good to finally be living under the same roof. I also found out I got the grades to go into second year of university.

Me and Jem 
After going back to Shrewsbury, it was my housemate’s birthday. We live 20 minutes away from each other, so we all went out in Shrewsbury and brought along the Leeds house. It was good to finally show them the famous Buttermarket.

Me and Jem again 
July was the month that I started my vegan Instagram. I had loads of photographs on my phone of meals I was eating, so I decided to just create a page where I could post them. This was probably my best decision of 2017, as now I get so many messages off people asking for advice on how to go vegan. I love spreading the vegan message and seeing what other people eat has really opened my eyes to all the amazing vegan food available out there. I hope to keep growing my Instagram throughout 2018.


Aubergine Katsu Curry (my most requested recipe)
Instagram: emeatsvegan

A vegan fry up
Instagram: emeatsvegan

Dairy free ice cream in Italy
Instagram: emeatsvegan
After three years of university in Liverpool, my sister finally graduated. My mum, my dad and I booked an apartment for the night and watched her ceremony. She only reserved two seats so I had to watch a live stream which I was NOT bitter about. We had a lovely day, and finished it off with dinner and drinks at Gusto’s.


My sister and I on her graduation
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
Stealing the limelight
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff

My sister and I
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff

My sister and I
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff

Joe’s birthday was on 19th July. I booked for us to go podding for the evening. We drove a little out of Shrewsbury to this beautiful place that had little huts for us to stay in, and a hot tub. They even accommodated to my vegan diet, making me a veggie burger to dinner and a vegan fry up for breakfast. The following morning, we drove to Alton Towers and spent the day there. His birthday was one of my favourite memories this year.

Me and Joe at Alton Towers
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff

Mine and Joe's podding hut
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff

Me and Joe
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
August
I went on my first holiday as a vegan in August. I’ve linked the blogposts below about how I got on with eating vegan in Italy.

https://emmeatsvegan.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/eating-vegan-in-naples.html
https://emmeatsvegan.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/eating-vegan-in-rome.html

Me and Katie
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff

Me and Katie
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
As soon as I returned from Italy, me and all my friends went to Creamfields for the weekend. Despite being exhausted, this was easily the best weekend on 2017.


Me and Liv at Creamfields (I miss you)
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
September
This was my last month before going back to Leeds to start second year, so I just wanted to relax and appreciate home. Around half way through September, me and Joe went to a wedding reception together. It was so fun to get all dressed up, as I don’t do it often.

Me and Joe ready for a wedding
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
This feels like I’m just writing a diary of my hair, but in September I went ice white. This is one of my favourite hair looks to date.


Platinum hair
Instagram: seanyteaguestylist
I ended September by getting a job in an Italian restaurant in Leeds. I was so happy as after the summer I had, I really needed the money.

October
In October, I finally joined the Leeds Vegan Society. We went to wagamamas to try out their new vegan menu. It was such a good afternoon and it only cost £10, and even that went to an animal charity.


Leeds Uni vegan taster session at Wagamamas
Instagram: emeatsvegan
Gyoza
Instagram: emeatsvegan
Ramen bowl
Instagram: emeatsvegan
I was feeling very homesick throughout October, as now I had a job, I couldn’t just pop home when I felt like it. My mum, my sister and I decided to meet halfway and went to Manchester for the day. You will not believe where we chose to eat! (hint: it was wagamamas).

Modelling the gyoza
 Instagram: emeatsvegan
Me hehe
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
October was also the month of Halloween, which is one of my favourite times of the year. Any excuse to dress up.

Mermaid (??)
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
November
November was finally the month where I could go home. I booked the weekend off work and went back to my beloved Shrewsbury. Joe was DJ’ing at the club in town, so me and all my friends went to watch him. I was so proud.


Me and Katie
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff

December
I finally finished university for Christmas. I had to stay a week extra because of work, which I was so upset about. However, my amazing housemate Sophie, who I do not appreciate enough, gave up a week of her Christmas to stay with me. The week consisted of library trips, coffee and lots of sushi.


Sav and I
Attractive
I was finally home for Christmas and after four months I was reunited with my best friend Liv. We all went out for her birthday. I wish I could expand on this but I have absolutely no recollection of that night, so let’s just pretend we all had fun.


Hen, Liv and me
Another hair update, but in December I went pink! Pink is my favourite colour, so I decided to take the plunge, new year new me and all that.


Candy floss
Instagram: seanyteaguestylist
The end of December marked my 20th birthday. Joe, my family and my friends made it the best birthday to date. After having a little cry with Joe in the morning about not being a teenager anymore :(. Joe took me ice skating. If you know me, you know I am the clumsiest person, but for some reason I found myself gliding across that ice rink. I was so proud of myself. We finished the day with a meal and then drinks with all my favourite people.


Joe is bored of me taking photos
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
Me having a photoshoot on the ice
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
...and again
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
Best friends
Instagram: emmalouisewagstaff
2017 really was a wonderful year.

Emma xx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EATING VEGAN AT... BOOMTOWN FAIR

REVIEW: MEATLESS FARM CO. MEAT FREE MINCE

Eating Vegan In... Amsterdam